Its late and I just got into my hotel in Washington DC – so I’ll make this short and sweet regarding Obama’s Address to the Joint Session of Congress. He is on the ropes and trying to repackage his health care bill to ensure he gets SOMETHING out of Congress to he can declare victory. I listen on the radio on the drive to DC but it wasn’t hard to catch most of his BS.
Here are the things that you should be paying attention to:
1) He promises the new law will take 4 years to go into effect. This ensures get gets to brag about bringing health care reform and run on that for his second term without having to actually be ACCOUNTABLE for its results. By then its too late and he’s in his 2nd term of office.
2) He made alot of smarmy references to the HR 3200 detractors and kept saying his plan didn’t do any of the things people have been attacking him on. Of course this is mixing the issues – Obama has not had a plan until tonite in front of the American people. So that makes his attack on others remarkably disingenuous.
3) He promises three big things to the American people – More security and stability for those with coverage, Provide insurance for those who don’t have it, and slow the costs of health care.
Lets take a closer look at these pieces of the plan
- Guaranteed Coverage without any problems for pre-existing conditions
- No Lifetime Cap on benefits
- A government mandated max on out of pocket expenses
- Force insurance companies to cover “At no extra charge” preventative medicine (check ups, mammograms, etc)
- Mandatory Personal Health Insurance Coverage
These four Mandates will result in HIGHER INSURANCE PREMIUMS – there is no way these things will result in LOWER COSTS!
The Most DISTURBING part of the plan is the proposal to create a government sponsored “Insurance Exchange” that will be able to serve the people who don’t currently have health insurance. Insurance plans will want to compete for the millions of people who enter this “exchange” but realize this : the GOVERNMENT will leverage these millions of people just like any other Payer, and the Insruance companies will not want to be viewed negatively by the Feds, so do you REALLY think they will charge fair market prices to this group of government subsidized people? I don’t think so. They will charge lower than normal prices to entice people to sign up with them just like they did with Medicare Part D benefits programs. Regular folks with traditional insurance will look on and wish they had these cheap plans and then the tidal wave rush to abandon your employer program for the quasi government programs will be on.
Whats missing of course is PORTABILITY – the ability for me to own my personal policy and not have to worry about my employer changing my benefits arbitrarily.
His plan on paying for the plan is the Trojan Horse to the whole thing:
By requiring everyone to buy more expansive policies, costs WILL go up, which will kick in his provision to force spending cuts. Which no one will like – so either rationing will occur or your taxes will go up, or worse yet you will see the costs shift to those with paid for insurance. Hold on – I reported on this yesterday in Sneak Peek at Obama’s new health care proposal – if you make more than $40,000 per year you will PAY MORE!
Now, add it all up, and the plan I’m proposing will cost around $900 billion over 10 years — less than we have spent on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and less than the tax cuts for the wealthiest few Americans that Congress passed at the beginning of the previous administration. (Applause.) Now, most of these costs will be paid for with money already being spent — but spent badly — in the existing health care system. The plan will not add to our deficit. The middle class will realize greater security, not higher taxes. And if we are able to slow the growth of health care costs by just one-tenth of 1 percent each year — one-tenth of 1 percent — it will actually reduce the deficit by $4 trillion over the long term.
I wonder what “LONG TERM” Mr Obama used for his calculations – I’m thinking double digit years here! Anyone do the math on this? Its ridiculous, and more of the same BS from Politicians who like to use big numbers to impress us.
No surprise that he dragged out the still warm corpse of Ted Kennedy to sell his plan as a moral issue. Yawn.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.